Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cats, Cats and More Cats!!!

As half of my blogs namesake I thought I’d better talk a little about my cats:

Not that many years ago, I really, really didn’t care much for cats. Other people had them, they were just kind of there and usually made me sneeze. I tried to stay away from them as much as possible. Then over Labor Day weekend in 2002 my dad and I went to visit his family in Indiana and The Boy stayed home to skateboard and ended up breaking his ankle. He had to have an air cast for several weeks and needed surgery. Needless to say, he was immobilized for quite some time. If you have ever met him, you know he’s got a bad case of ADD and cannot sit still, so the fact that he had to lay in bed for weeks with his leg elevated was torture. Feeling sorry for him, my mom agreed he could have a kitten. Once I got a look a this kitten I was in love. We named her Karma, and she’s totally my cat now. Here she is in her natural state, napping and relaxing:


Then in Christmas of 2002 we got another cat (one just wasn’t enough) that we named Zen. He was all black and very chill. He just sat and observed as if he was sizing us up or possibly doing some sort of kitty meditation. He loved to be petted as long as you didn’t try to pick him up and carry him around. He begged like a dog for milk, buttered toast and bar-b-q potato chips. It took a few weeks for he and Karma to warm up to each other, but once they did, they were inseparable. Sadly, in January of 2006, he passed away. We aren’t sure what happened, but based on his symptoms the vet thought it may have been a cancerous tumor. He was only 4 ½ years old and we still miss him, he was the coolest!!


After a few months of only one cat we decided that we were in need of some additional furry friends. I was just going to go to the Animal Protective League and adopt a cat. Then, I happened to be paruzing the newspaper and saw there were 2 cats up for adoption for $60 each and they had already been fixed, declawed, and had their shots. I called the phone number and it turns out that a family in Brunswick had adopted 2 kittens from a local shelter only to find out that their kids were allergic. The owners didn’t want to separate them because they were brothers and had never been apart, and I was the only one who wanted both of them. So, I loaded them into the carrier and drove them home. Much to Karma’s dismay she now had 2 new friends. We named them Calvin & Hobbes. Calvin is orange with white feet and a white chest. He looks like he’s wearing socks and a shirt. Hobbes is all orange. They are a constant source of entertainment!!





Karma isn't particularly fond of Calvin & Hobbes. The are wild & crazy and want to play all the time. Karma, like myself, is more of a hangin' out and chillin' kind of cat. However, the night of Linda & Mark's wedding they to, like myself, were hittin' the sauce a little too hard! They broke into the Tupperware container, spilled the cat treats all over the kitchen floor and ate until they puked. Then all 3 of them passed out on my mom & dads bed. Here they are, one of the few times they have all slept in the same place at the same time.
It's a really good thing that I have family, friends and a fiance to keep me busy, othewise, I'd totally be the crazy cat lady with 47 cats!!

1 comment:

Linda and Mark said...

They make me sneeze and when Blarney comes over-he wants to eat them, but your kitties are great!